Monday, January 30, 2012

Aromatherapy for Kitty?

Image Detail

(My cats' interpretation of aromatherapy)

Aromatherapy has become a very popular form of alternative medicine, used for the treatment or prevention of disease, pain and anxiety reduction, relaxation, etc. by use of essential oils.  

But, what's good for us humans isn't necessarily good for Kitty.  There are mixed opinions amongst veterinarians if it is a safe practice for cats.  Whether applied, ingested or inhaled, the essential oils are absorbed into the bloodstream and metabolized in the liver, but Kitty lacks the enzyme necessary to metabolize the oil, and some oils can actually be toxic to cats.*  With mixed reviews, I am not willing to risk trying aromatherapy with my cats.

But, I've recently discovered another option for helping Kitty overcome some issues. They are called Floral Essences.  A friend of mine with whom I volunteer at King Street Cats introduced these to me.  There are floral essences for abandonment and abuse, anxiety, grief and loss, jealousy, transition, etc.  Green Hope Farms has an exhaustive list of floral essences to help Kitty.  Their staff is excellent when you have questions or concerns.  I highly recommend them.

Check out their website!

What do you think?  Do you have any experience with either aromatherapy or floral essences for Kitty that you would like to share?  Post your comments below!


1 comment:

Melissa Murphy said...

I like Rescue Remedy and have used it on myself as well as my cats!